It’s back to school time. Did you promise yourself that this year would be different? Did you say you were going to come up with a plan to manage all the school papers and homework? Did you have a great idea for organizing school lunches and backpacks? What about homework?
It can be difficult to stay organized with school things when so much happens all at once. However, it is possible with a bit of planning and some family guidelines. Below are 10 back to school organizing tips to help you plan and establish family guidelines that will help you stay organized. Allow yourself time (3 weeks) to transition into these guidelines, but stick to it, and you’ll see results.
Here are 10 back to school organizing tips:
1. Create a defined drop zone for backpacks just inside the back door, and label a location for each pack.
2. Create a vertical inbox for all incoming school papers, and assign time on your daily calendar to look at these papers.
3. Label the vertical inbox with categories that make sense to you. For example: school handbook; schedules; menus; contacts; events.
4. Create a clearly defined homework area for each child, and assign time on your daily calendar to review homework.
5. Create a healthy snack box where kids can grab something good to munch on, to hold them over until dinnertime.
6. Establish one family calendar to post everyone’s schedule.
7. Plan school lunches for the week on Sunday, and assign time on your daily calendar to make them the night before.
8. Pick out school clothes the night before and have them ready to go.
9. Plan breakfast for the week on Sunday and have all menu items on hand .
10. Have each child contribute as much as they can to the family guidelines. Organizing should be a group effort.
Please share any school related family guidelines that have been successful for your family.
©September 2014 Janine Cavanaugh, CPO® All rights reserved