Have you ever declared, “I can’t get rid of that, it cost too much!” If you don’t use it or wear it, why does it matter how much it cost? It won’t cost any less if you hold onto it for another year or two. Let it go now! This way someone, other than you, can get some use out of it before it depreciates in value.
Here are three easy ways to clear up space in your file cabinet.
- Recycle or shred paid utility bills. Get rid of all paid gas, electric, public work, telephone, cable, trash, and water bills that are older than 2 months.
- Go paperless with all bank, credit card, and financial statements. You’ll be saving trees.
- Don’t keep medical or dental explanation of benefits beyond 6 months.
How are you enjoying your spring? Do you have spring cleaning and organizing projects lined up? At my house we’re getting central air conditioning installed. I’m very excited that we won’t have to deal with the window AC units anymore.
If you’re like me, your closet is tiny and can’t accommodate your complete wardrobe. So we need to preform the seasonal clothing swap. Early spring and fall are when I do my swaps.
Steps for spring:
- Wash winter coats, hats, gloves, scarves and pack away until next winter. Clean and condition winter boots before packing away. Don’t forget those wool socks, fleece socks, winter slippers and bathrobes.
- Remove all wool, cashmere and heavy sweaters from your closet. Pack up all turtlenecks and winter layering pieces.
- Add 3-season items and summer layering pieces to your wardrobe.
- Swap out winter hats, scarves, leggings, and jewelry for lightweight options.
- Once it gets hotter add tank tops, shorts, bathing suites and summer dresses.
If you’d like to encourage yourself and your family to recycle more change your words. Use the word landfill instead of trash. Every time you’re about to throw something out say, “I’m putting this in the landfill.” This small change will make a difference in how you perceive discarded items.
Research shows the context of a word sways people’s judgment and decision making.
Learn more about this service here