Receiving a thank you note in the mail is pleasant. It’s even more pleasant when you’re being thanked for something you didn’t realize would make an impact on the other person. This happened to me when I offered a simple organizing solution to a Realtor I had met at a networking event. She asked me if I had any ideas how she could keep all her real estate forms portable and organized. I suggested a portable accordion file. The next thing I know, I’m reading a very sincere thank you note that makes me smile. It just goes to show you, sometimes the simplest organizing solutions are the best solutions. In this case, find a good home for paper and things.
Here are a few more simple organizing solutions that I’ve offered to my clients:
- Standing a baby bath tub on end, so it took up less room in the closet where it was stored. Be creative and unconventional with your personal organizing solutions.
- Moving a daily used utensil drawer up to the second spot instead of the third drawer down. Make it easy on yourself to do daily tasks.
- Asking a spouse to pay some of the monthly bills in order to spend less time on the task. Delegate and ask for help when you can.
- Tossing the brown, brittle, dead flowers in the vase on the dresser even if they were your wedding bouquet. Evoke cherished memories with happy thoughts, not objects.
- When you’ve finished knitting, put your knitting project back in the bag. Getting in the habit of putting things back in the places we’ve assigned them to go fosters organization.
© September 2013 Janine Cavanaugh, CPO® All Rights Reserved